DTS Verse

Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the Lord is good!"

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fear of the Lord

This week we have Ed Sinke (we were disappointed it wasn't spelled with a z) here talking about the Father Heart of God. We had class tonight and it was one of those classes that you don't plan for but you feel God leading to elongate on something. That something was the Fear of the Lord. He showed us two slides with two different verses on them. Looking like this:

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim it from the roofs. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in Hell. Matthew 10:27-28

He had us take a close look at those two verses and then tell him if there was a contradiction. I said, "no"
"why not?"
"because to fear the Lord is a different type of fear"
"what do you mean?"
"it's to have reverence for Him"
"what do you mean?"
"ummm, it's like respect."
"what do you mean?"
And from there we argued. I gave up and Marissa took over trying to explain that she thinks that it is that He has the ability and then Ed went off with Old Testament stuff that she couldn't handle. Elizabeth gave it a try (recognize the fact that at this point the mexicans had n idea what was going on because Lalo didn't have time to translate. He tried and Ed stopped him) and I don't even remember what she said, it was really good but again she got shot down.
His point with all of this is that we only gave him spiritual answers. We have to be able to talk to non-Christians in a way that they can understand, without all our spiritual jabber. Another point he was trying to make was that we cannot give a captivating and real answer if it hasn't been reevealed to us by the Father Himself. If we just hear it and repeat it the there will not be an effect. We cannot preach what is not ours! This hit me hard. He even asked me how mad I was at him. I realized that I was frustrated that I didn't know and I couldn't give him an answer. He replied, "that is a really good place to be, as long as you don't stay there."
Wow. The rest of the class all i wanted to do was enroll in seminary! I have had a real want to study the Bible for a while now and it has kept coming up. I just don't know personally what that looks like for me, and I'm not sure if I'm ready. I know that God will show me exactly what He wants with my life and I am excited to see if that is in it!

Another thing he brought up was this:
We go to Church why? We expect Him to be there right? So, how much time do we spend preparing to meet God on Sunday mornings? Or for us, before class even? If we were meeting someone important (like the president) we would go prepared. The reasoning he gave was this: we don't prepare before meeting with God because we don't have the fear of the Lord. It comes down to really not caring (its not a big deal to us). I still haven't wrapped my mind around all that this encompasses and tomorrow we are going to dig deeper into the Fear of the Lord but it's something to think about.

Ed has brought so many new ideas to a topic that I wasn't expecting them to come with. I'm excited to see what the rest of this week entails, especially because it has impacted so many people in the past. Ty said that many times if he asks a YWAMer what the most influential week was for them in their DTS they would say The Father Heart of God. Please pray that our hearts will be open to hear and our minds will be clear from any other thoughts.
Ps. You guys are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment